Friday, July 17, 2009


My Hannah, who is 7 years old. 7 is a lucky number. I will remember the eve of your 7th birthday forever. You burst into the sweetest tears about the milestone that lay ahead. You just didn't want to turn 7. The birthday was exciting. The party was going to be perfect. The gifts were all welcome but the passage of time....the end of your 6th year and the beginning of your 7th year was too different. 6 was good. It treated you well. You carried it off flawlessly.

I promise you Hannah - 7 is lucky. It's different and new but you are ready for it. You will be the best 7 year old that ever was.

My Sadie, who is 4 years old. I will remember the eve of your 4th birthday forever too. We were distracted by the company of friends and you were full of laughs and when suddenly you remembered what you were going to wake up to in about 12 hours. You climbed into my lap on the couch and lay back and said "Can I go to bed now so I can wake up and turn 4?"

Your 4th year of life is going to be as exciting as you anticipated. It's the final year of preschool for you. You will be in "The Big Kid's" class upstairs. You will slowly prepare yourself for kindergarten, surrounded by your friends, loved be each and every one of them. It's a big adventure to turn 4. You told me today that you don't like princesses anymore. I remember the day that Hannah told me that and I do believe that she was 4 years old too. You are following in your sisters footsteps and believe me - those footsteps will not lead you astray.

*This picture was taken in spring 2009. We took a short trip up to Tremblant village. The weather was at least 20 degrees but the bottom of the ski hill was still covered in snow.

3 comments:

Jenne said...

Yes this year will be lucky. Good riddance to princesses, unless they are of the paper-bag type. Happy birthday Sadie and Hannah, I was there in spirit sending you atlantic size hugs.

Julia Hale said...

A Poem for Sadie:

When I was one
I had just begun
When I was two
I was nearly new
When I was three
I was barely me
When I was four
I was not much more
When I was five
I was just alive
But now I am six
I'm as clever as clever
I think I'll be six now forever and ever.

E.E.Miln

Julia Hale said...

A.A.Miln...right. Anyways, it's him.